George Runciman (marr. Janet Darling)1,2
(26 Sep 1798 - bet. 1841 - 1851)
|Father-Poss*||Thomas Runciman (m. Jean SIMPSON)3,4 (circa Jul 1762 - bet. 1841 - 1851)|
|Mother-Poss*||Jean Simpson2 (bet. 1756 - 1761 - bet. 1841 - 1851)|
IntroDoes a tailor become a hind? Are there two families here or one?
With the differences in occupation I had doubts about my identification of these family connections, however "reasonable" they seemed when I first made them.
My answer is now yes, as at least the son of a taylor does indeed become a hind/land steward. I had the answer all along, the death cert. of son John clearly shows his father (John married to Marion Weatherly) as a land steward.
The tailor connection:
1783: Thomas Runciman and Jean Simpson marry in Haddington, Thomas a taylor, (recorded in the Dunbar OPR)
1784: John, son of Thomas and Jean (Simpson), taylor at Broxburn born/baptised
This John is linked to the one married to May/Marion Weatherly through the latter 's marriage which gives John's father as Thomas, albeit with no occupations listed for either father or son.
An earlier Thomas was a tailor, eg 1770 bap. Alexander s/o Thomas and Barbara Wallis - which latter surname features as a witness somewhere (yet to be refound)
The farming connections (which may or may not indicate a different family despite the same wife's names):
1798: at Crawhill: a son George born to Thomas a hind.
1808 Isabella born to John and May (Weatherly) which may be the link crossing the boundary between tailor Thomas and hind Thomas.
1871 death of John son of John and Marion (Weatherly) in Edinburgh, father John shown as a land steward, deceased.
1869 Robert (married to Agnes King) is linked because his death cert states his father as Thomas, ag labourer, but mother not named
1885 Thomas (married to Mary Redpath) is linked because his death cert states his parents as Thomas, general labourer, and Jane, albeit without a surname for Jane.
Alexander (married to Joan Manderson) is linked to farming Thomas by naming pattern of his children, and because a Thomas, hind was witness to several of his children's baptisms, at Mickle Pinkerton, which place features in several earlier entries in the Dunbar OPRs, eg birth of George 1734 to Thomas and Helen (Stevensone).
Alexander, possibly this one, is linked as witness to marriage of John and Marion Weatherly at Oldhamstocks (banns Innerwick where father Thomas was cautioner for the groom)
Once Alexander is linked in, this also links in the George married to Janet Darling, as their respective children Agnes and George are documented on their 1861 marriage cert as first cousins.
With large gaps in the known children for George and Janet there was room to fit in a son Thomas, who has now been found (died Edinburgh 1877) to add naming pattern into the evidence for the prosecution
Until I found the Crawhill connection I was coming to the conclusion that there were two families, but even with the Crawhill connection between Alexander's and John's families, it still isn't really "proof" that they are one family but could be indicative of two Johns, one son of the tailor, the other married to May Weatherly.3,5,6
BDMsGeorge Runciman (marr. Janet Darling) was born on 26 Sep 1798 Crawhill, Par. of Innerwick, ELN, SCT, (which date fits his age of 40 in 1841, within normal rounding for that.)7,4,8,9 He was baptized on 17 Oct 1798 in the Par. of Innerwick, ELN, SCT; transcr. of entry: Thomas Runciman hind in Crawhills (illegible) and Jean? Simpson his wife had a son baptised born 26th Sept his name George. Witnesses John Simpson servt (illegible, could be name of his boss) and Senior ( could be John Simpson Senior, I'm (Patsy) guessing here squeezed into a corner of page and very hard to read.2,7 ) He married Janet Darling on 18 May 1821 Bunkle & Preston, BEW, SCT.1,10,11
George Runciman (marr. Janet Darling) died bet. 1841 - 1851 ?Balgone Barns, Par. of North Berwick, ELN, SCT.1,12,8,13
CensusGeorge Runciman (marr. Janet Darling) appeared on the census of 1841 Balgone Barns, Par. of North Berwick, ELN, SCT, with Janet Runciman, as RUNCIMAN: George 40; Janet 40; Agnes 13; John 10; George 7; Darling 3; Also David DARLING 70 (indexed as DURLING) All b ELN (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)8
DNA InfoGeorge's line needs a/another participant in the RUNCIMAN Surname DNA Project. Check out the Wanted! page for further information.
SummaryIt is highly likely that the George married to Janet DARLING is the George bap. 1798 to Thomas and Jean (SIMPSON).
The supporting evidence for this :
- the naming pattern of George and Janet's children, but only as far as 1st son is a Thomas
- his age in the 1841 census matching the baptism (within the rounding instructions for that census)
Usual plea - any direct male line RUNCIMANs who can claim George for an ancestor interested in proving this via the DNA project?3
LinksClick here to see George's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.15
Researcher(s)The line of George Runciman (marr. Janet Darling) is/was being researched by Frank Neate. Frank's wife is a desc. of George & Janet (DARLING) RUNCIMAN, and related to Robert R's wife Agnes KING Email: Frank.16
|Janet Darling (circa 1799 - Jan 1862)|
|Charts||Lineage 1d: Alexander & Janet (HENDRIE) RUNCIMAN of Dunbar, ELN|
Wanted: Thomas and Jean (Simpson) Runciman
|Last Edited||2 Mar 2012|
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 12 Dec 1861 George RUNCIMAN and Agnes RUNCIMAN, Dunbar, Haddington, 706 #30, copy d/loaded Sep 2005.
- [S102] Scotlands People Index, "OPR East Lothian, SCT RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Birth (bap.?) 17 Oct 1798 George s/o Thomas RUNCiMAN & Jean SIMPSON, Innerwick, ELN 711/ 0030 0259, extracted from index Mar 2010.
- [S3] Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Analysis", Apr 2010.
- [S102] Scotlands People Index, "OPR East Lothian, SCT RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Birth (bap?) 17 Oct 1798 George s/o Thomas RUNCIMAN & Jean SIMPSON, Innerwick, 711/ 0030 0259, extracted from index Feb 2010.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1871 John RUNCIMAN, Dist 685/2 Pg 102 #304, Edinburgh St Andrew, MLN, copy d/loaded Apr 2007.
- [S15] RUNCIMAN DNA Project online at http://dnasurnames.info/lineages/spRUNCIMANLineages.htm, Oct 2011.
- [S2333] Rootsweb Msge Board online at http://boards.rootsweb.com, Birth 26 Sep Bap. 17 Oct 1798 George s/o Thomas RUNICMAN (hind, Crawhills) & Jean SIMPSON, transcr. by Patsy, Chch, NZ, from Innerwick Baptisms, film 1067850, posted by Alethea, Feb 2001, extracted Apr 2010.
- [S201] 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, North Berwick, ELN Par 713 ED 3A hsheold of George & Janet RUNCIMAN, extracted Aug 2007.
- [S3] Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Analysis", Aug 2007.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), RUNCIMAN/DARLING births, batch C117235, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 18 May 1821 George RUNCIMAN & Janet DARLING, Bunkle & Preston, BEW, batch M117284, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S203] 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Whitekirk & Tynninghame, ELN Par 723 ED 4 Pg 3 Sched 7, hsehold of Robert & Agnes DAUGHTY, extracted Aug 2007.
- [S333] GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Marr. 25 Nov 1868 George RUNCIMAN and Elizabeth DAVIDSON, Greenlaw, BEW, copy d/loaded Nov 2005.
- [S15] RUNCIMAN DNA Project online at http://dnasurnames.info/lineages/spRUNCIMANLineages.htm, Apr 2010, updated Mar 2012 and Jun 2016.
- [S3217] WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct-11.
- [S2926] Frank NEATE (63262), "EM RUNCIMAN/HENDRIE/KING/DARLING ex Frank N," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Rcvd Jun 2010.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 16 Jan 1877 Thomas s/o George RUNCIMAN & Janet DARLING, w/o Jane MOSSMAN, Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN, 685/03 Pg 22 #65, copy d/loaded Apr 2010.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 5 Nov 1893 David s/o George RUNCIMAN/Janet DARLING, wid/o Barbara Allan HOGG, reg. Falkirk, STI, 479/00 #498, copy d/loaded Jun 2010.
- [S1597] FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Birth 17 Oct Bap. 12 Nov 1837 Darling s/o George RUNCIMAN & Janet DARLING, Athelstaneford, ELN, from Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 batch C11703-5 film 1067794, extracted Feb 2012.