(circa 1818 - bet. Jan 1882 - Mar 1882)
BDMsIsabella Palmer was born circa 1818 Hutton, BEW, SCT.1
Isabella Palmer married John Runciman, son of Thomas Runciman (m. Mary REDPATH) and Mary Redpath, on 7 Feb 1840 Ladykirk, BEW, SCT, indexed as Izobel PALMER (fam tree has PILMUIR.)2,1
Isabella Runciman died bet. Jan 1882 - Mar 1882 reg. Coxhoe?, DUR, ENG.1,3,4
CensusIsabella Runciman and John Runciman appeared on the census of 1841 East Newton, Par. of Whitsome, BEW, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as RUNCIMAN: John 20 ag lab b SCT; Isabella 20 b BEW; Isabella PILMAN (as transcr, ?Palmer?) 17 F.S. b BEW.5
The census of 1851 showed Isabella with her husband John, their sons Thomas and George, their dtrs Isabel and Mary in a Hse, Ramrig, Par. of Ladykirk, BEW, SCT, household enumerated as RUNCIMAN: John 32 ag lab b Enderiack (as transcr, assumed to be Innerwick) ELN; wife Isabel 33 b Hutton, BEW; Children: Thomas 9 scholar b Whitsome, BEW; Isabel 7 scholar b Edrom, BEW; Mary 4 b Polwarth, BEW; George 1 b Swinton, BEW.1
The census of 1861 showed Isabella with her husband John, their sons Thomas, George and John, their dtrs Isabel, Mary and Cathrine, her father-in-law Thomas Little Town Farm, Pittington, DUR, ENG, household enumerated as RUNCIMAN: John 42 farm bailiff; wife Isabella 43 both b SCT; Children: Thomas 19 ag lab, Isabell 17, Mary 14, George 11, Cathrine 9 all scholars, b SCT John 2 b Pittington, DUR; Father Thomas 70 widower b SCT.6
The census of 1871 showed Isabella with her husband John, their dtr Cathrine, her father-in-law Thomas at Pittington, Co. Durham, household enumerated as RUNCIMAN: John 53? farm bailiff; Isabella 52 both b SCT; Children: Catherine 19 b SCT; John 12 scholar b Pittington, DUR; Father Thomas 79 widower, labourer b SCT.7
The census of 1881 showed Isabella in the household of her son John and his wife Mary A Runciman, and their dtr Maud Coxhoe Bridge, Dist of Durham, DUR, ENG, enumerated as RUNCIMAN (indexed as RUNCANAN): John 22 platelayer b Little Town; wife Mary A. 23 b Stockton, DUR; Children: John W 2, Maud 7 mos, both b Coxhoe Bridge, DUR; Mother Isabella 61 widow, no occupation b SCT.4
Names/other infoIn 1846 her surname was recorded as Pilmour birth of dtr Mary.8 In 1849 her surname was recorded as Pilmuir (birth record son George.)9
Isabella outlived her husband John Runciman who died on 23 Sep 1874.10,11,12
|John Runciman (Oct 1818 - Sep 1874)|
|Charts||Lineage 1d: Alexander & Janet (HENDRIE) RUNCIMAN of Dunbar, ELN|
Lineage 2b: John & Isabella (PALMER) RUNCIMAN of Dunbar, ELN
Wanted: Thomas and Jean (Simpson) Runciman
Wanted: Thomas and Mary (Redpath) Runciman
|Last Edited||19 Nov 2014|
- [S203] 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Ladykirk, BEW Par. 746 ED 2 Pg 6 hsehold of John & Isbella RUNCIMAN, extracted Feb 2010.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 7 Feb 1840 John RUNCIMAN & Izobel PALMER, batch M117464, Ladykirk BEW, extracted Feb 2010.
- [S1595] Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1882 Isabella RUNCIMAN, aged 63, reg. Durham, DUR 10a/214, extracted May 2012.
- [S208] 1881 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Coxhoe Bridge, Sub Dist St Nicholas, Dist Durham DUR, RG11; Piece: 4960; Folio: 51; Page: 31; Sched. 117, hsehold of John & Mary A RUNCIMAN (indexed as RUNCANAN), extracted May 2012.
- [S201] 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Whitsome, BEW Par. 757 ED 1 Pg 6, hsehold of John & Isabella RUNCIMAN, extracted Feb 2010.
- [S204] 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Civil Par. Pittington, Sub Dist St Nicholas, DUR, RG9/3743 ED 18 F 12 Pg 1 Sched 1, hsehold of John & Isabella RUNCIMAN, extracted Feb 2010.
- [S206] 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Pittington, DUR RG10/4968 ED 18 F 28 Pg 1 Sched 1, hsehold of John & Isabella RUNCIMAN, extracted Feb 2010.
- [S1597] FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Birth 16 May 1846 Mary d/o John RUNCIMAN & Isabel PILMOUR, Polwarth, BEW, from Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 batch C11754-2 film 1067903, extracted May 2012.
- [S1597] FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Birth 25 Apr 1849 George s/o John RUNCIMAN & Isabella PILMUIR, Swinton & Simprin, BEW, from Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 batch C11755-5 film 1067904, extracted Sep 2011.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 22 Sep Probate 29 Oct 1874 John RUNCIMAN, of Little Town Farm, Pittington, from England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1861-1941, extracted Aug 2010.
- [S2021] Alethea, "EMAIL: RUNCIMAN ex Alethea," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth by poisoning, Sep 1874, John William RUNCIMAN, Farm Bailiff, Littletown Farm nr Sherburn, from Durham Chronical, Fri 25 Sep 1874, transcr. on Runciman Mailing list, http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/RUNCIMAN/…, extracted May 2014.
- [S1918] Newspaper clippings, Inquest 2 Oct 1874 John William RUNCIMAN, from The Newcstle Courant etc (Newcastle upon Tyne), via Gale Newspaper Group, extracted May 2014.