(4 Oct 1807 - aft. 1851)
|Father*||James Runciman4 (Jun 1776 - Dec 1839)|
|Mother*||Mary Thomson4 (bet. 1786 - 1790 - bet. 1841 - 1851)|
BDMsJohn Runciman was born on 28 Sep 1807 Duddingston, MLN, SCT, which matches convict John's age and birthplace - as does his father's occupation given in the latter's burial in 1839.4,5,2,6,7 He was baptized on 4 Oct 1807 Duddingston, MLN.4
John Runciman married Isabella Stewart on 15 Sep 1837 Dalkeith, MLN, SCT, Convict papers from the Tasmanian archives may differ on John's wife. A surgeon's report shows W(ife) Elizabeth, md Dalkeith. Another entry shows wife as Mary but the W interpreted as such could be an M (for mother)
Entry in Dalkeith 1837, for John & Isabella's marriage shows John as Gardener, both were "of this Parish" "Cautioners, for the Bridgegroom Melville Jack, for the Bride James Swan"
The current interpretation is that Elizabeth is simply Isabella, particularly as these names may be interchangeable in usage.8,6,9,10,7,11
John Runciman died aft. 1851 ?TAS, AUS.12
CensusJohn Runciman appeared on the census of 6 Jun 1841 on the District Justitia Convict Hulk, Woolwich Arsenal, Dist of Plumstead, KEN, ENG, as John RUNCIMAN, 30, convict, birthplace partially obscured by huge ink blob but might be construed as b. SCT (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)3
Names/other infoJohn Runciman immigrated, rather involuntarily, on 13 Jan 1842 on the "Barossa", Van Diemans Land, AUS; a 136 day voyage from Sheerness 27 Aug 1841, arriving 13 Jan 1842. 350 convicts (male) embarked, 2 died en route.2,7
|Charts||John & Jean (WATT) RUNCIMAN of Haddington, ELN|
|Last Edited||8 Dec 2016|
- All but last letter of name obscured on convict papers, looks like the end of a tall letter followed by n, confirmed by 1841 census.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Feb 1841 ..n RUNCIMAN, convicted Edinburgh 10 years, from HO11/12 Convicts transported 1839-1841, Australian Convict Transportation Registers - Other Fleets & Ships, 1791-1868, extracted Nov 2007.
- [S200] 1841 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, District Justitia Convict Hulk, Woolwich Arsenal, Plumstead, KEN, HO107/493/9 F 35 Pg 17, extracted Nov 2007.
- [S1597] FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Birth 28 Sep Bap. 4 Oct 1807 John s/o James RUNCIMAN & Mary THOMSON, Duddingston, MLN, from Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 batch C11684-5 film 1066683, extracted Sep 2012.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, 22 Feb 1841 Jno RUNCIMAN, 33, gardener, horse stealing, 3rd conviction, from UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849, Class: HO9; Piece: 13, extracted Sep 2010.
- [S3073] Ros Runciman, "RUNCIMAN Corres.," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, 1841 John RUNCIMAN, convict, wife Mary, child, rcvd Feb 2011.
- [S3238] Founders and Survivors 1803-1920 (Tasmania) by Tasmanian Archives online at http://foundersandsurvivors.org/, Convict record John RUNCIMAN, b. Duddingtson c 1808, "Barossa" arr. 13 Jan 1842, from http://foundersandsurvivors.org/pubsearch/convict/chain/…, extracted Feb 2013.
- [S203] 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Dalkeith, MLN Par. 683 ED 9 Sched. 41, hsehold of George RUNCIMAN (hsehold indexed as RUNTHMAN & RANSHMAN), extracted Sep 2012.
- [S333] GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Marr. 15 Sep 1837 John RUNCIMAN & Isabella STEWART, Dalkeith, MLN, 683/00 0110 0168, copy rcvd from Alan R, Jan 2013.
- [S3073] Ros Runciman, "RUNCIMAN Corres.," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Surgeon's report on John RUNCIMAN, copy rcvd Feb 2013.
- [S3] Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Analysis", May 2013.
- [S3129] Trove - Digitised Newspapers, 1851 John RUNCIMAN "Barossa, 1" from Expiration of Sentences (1851, July 16). The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880), p. 448, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article65573185, extracted Jan 2013.