(22 Feb 1801 - 12 Aug 1842)
|Father*||James Runciman (m. to Agnes HERRIOT)2 (Aug 1763 - )|
|Mother*||Agnes Herriot2 (Sep 1760 - )|
IntroThere are four David's, at least, born around this time in the Scottish OPRs:
Feb 1801 Ayton to James & Agnes (Herriot) Runciman - assumed to be the gunner/driver serving Gibraltar for 15 years to 1837, and shown as 19, carpenter, born Ayton when he enlisted in 1822
Oct 1801, Perth to James & Mary (Toshach) Runciman
Nov 1803, Earlston, to William & Mary (Forsyth) Runciman
Mar 1804, Earlston, to David Runciman
The 1804 Earlston David is the son of David & Janet (Lockie) Runciman of Wantonwalls who became a Minister and is accounted for.
The 1841 census has a David and Mary Runciman.3,4
BDMsDavid Runciman was born on 22 Feb 1801 Ayton, BEW, SCT, given that family information says 14th March, the SctP OPR date is asumed to be a birth, with the 14th being a baptism. His military record implies 1803, and assumed death, abt 1794.5,6,1,7,8
David Runciman married Mary McKay, daughter of Alexander McKay, on 15 Sep 1826 Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN, SCT, entry reads: David Runciman, Joiner, Residing in No 3 Catherine Street and Mary Mackay Residing in Same Place, both in this parish Daughter of the late Alexander Mackay, Joiner in Tain, have been three times proclaimed in order to Marriage in the Parish Church of St Cuthberts, and no Objections have been Offered.
Married on the fifteenth Current by the Reverend George Paxton, Minister of the Associate Session Congregation, Infirmary Street, Edinburgh.1,9
David Runchman died on 12 Aug 1842 Bullshugh, SEL, SCT, at age 41; entry shows David as 48, cobbler, so IF this is him, and it does seem likely given he was deceased by 1852 and not found in the 1851 census, perhaps the lung disease that ended his military service also enforced a change of occupation?1,8,7,4
CensusDavid Runciman and Mary Runciman appeared on the census of 1841 Heatherly, SEL, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as RUNCIMAN: David 35 lab; ?wife? Mary 40; ?Children?: Marion 12, Mary 11, Jean 9 all b SCT (not SEL) Also at Heatherly, a family of FALLA, Robert, 60 ++.1
|Mary McKay (circa 1797 - Dec 1845)|
|Charts||Lineage 2a: James & Agnes (HERRIOT) RUNCIMAN of Dunbar, ELN|
|Last Edited||23 Sep 2016|
- [S201] 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Heatherly, SEL Par. 778 ED 3 hsehold of David & Mary RUNCIMAN, extracted May 2007.
- [S2200] Phil RUNCIMAN, "EM RUNCIMAN/HERRIOT ex Phil R, AK," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Rootsweb RUNCIMAN mailing list posting, Jul 2001, extracted Jan 2008.
- [S3] Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Analysis", Jan 2008.
- [S4] Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Conclusions", Nov 2011.
- [S104] Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Birth/Bap.? 22 Feb 1801 David s/o James RUNCEMAN & Agnes HERRIOT, Ayton, BEW, 727/ 0010 0118, extracted from index Oct 2011.
- [S2200] Phil RUNCIMAN, "EM RUNCIMAN/HERRIOT ex Phil R, AK," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Birth 14 Mar 1801 David s/o James RUNCIMAN & Agnes HERRIOT, from Rootsweb RUNCIMAN mailing list posting, Jul 2001, extracted Jan 2008.
- [S1599] Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Service record David RUNCIMAN, gunner & driver, attested to Royal Regiment of Artillery , Berwick, BEW 9 Nov 1822 aged 19, born Ayton, served to 10 Oct 1837, from Nat. Archives WO97-1259-227 Pg 1, copy d/loaded Nov 2011.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 12 Aug 1842 David RUNCHMAN, Bullshugh, Par. of Sekirk, aged 48, cobbler, 778/00 0060 0437, copy d/loaded Nov 2011.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 15 Sep 1826 David RUNCIMAN & mary MacKAY, Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN 685/020 0410 0166, copy d/loaded Nov 2011.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 5 Nov 1852 Mary Ann d/o late David RUNCIMAN (pensioner of Selkirk) to Robert McGILL (private 79th Regt of Foot, Edinburgh Castle), Canongate, Edinburgh, MLN, 685/030 0290 0619, copy d/loaded Nov 2011.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 21 Jan 1911 Mary Ann GILL d/o David (joiner) RUNCIMAN & __ McKAY, wid/o Robert GILL (tailor). Edinburgh St Giles, MLN 685/04 #93, copy d/loaded Nov 2011.