(10 May 1760 - )
|Father*||William Runciman (of Crail)2,1 (Mar 1729 - Jan 1765)|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Jamieson2,1 (1728 - Jan 1763)|
IntroWilliam of Crail's death left 5 orphaned children, as detailed in the papers about the pay-outs to the widows and children of the fisherman drowned in 1765:
‘ Willliam Runcieman, a widower left 5 children and a Bastard: Janet Runcieman aged 16 Margaret 10 Elizabeth 8, Helen 5 John 3. The Bastard's name Mary aged 16 months.’ (Phyllis adds that this mention of 16 months is a puzzle and may be an error, as later minutes of the Widows and Orphans Fund, consistently identify Mary’s birth as at December 1764, which would make her around 16 weeks old at the time of this letter was written in April 1765).
Grandfather Richard was paid for looking after three of them, Janet presumably considered old enough, at 16, to earn her own keep, Mary, "the Bastard" not his problem, and the two Catherine's assumed to have died young?2,3,4
BDMsHelen Runsyman was born on 10 May 1760 Crail, FIF, SCT, which fits with age of 5 when father died.2,3,1 She was baptized on 11 May 1760 at Crail, Fife.1
Helen Runciman married Patrick Dudgeon on 20 May 1780 Whitekirk, ELN, SCT, entry reads "that Patr Dudgeon and Helen Runciman both in this Parish Gave up their names to be Proclaimed in order to marriage before these witnesses Andw Dudgeon and Jno Runciman (signed) Willm Murray Sessn Clerk" the assumption being that the bride is this Helen rather than her potential aunt Helen, dtr of Richard & Jennet (GOURLAY) RUNCIMAN, who was born in 1744 (with Jno assumed to be John son of William of Crail and therefore either brother or nephew of Helen, and the assumption that grdfather/father Richard must therefore have died?)
With only two children identified to date as belonging to Patrick/Peter and Helen, and a large gap between them, the naming pattern is not much help in aiding this id - any William or Elizabeth DUDGEONs born between 1781 and 1787 wanting a home?5
LinksClick here to see Helen's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree. And descendants.6
Researcher(s)Helen Runsyman is the ancestor of researcher Annalisa Aitken. Email: Annalisa.7
|Patrick Dudgeon (say 1760 - )|
|Charts||Lineage 1b: William (JAMIESON/WISHART) RUNCIMAN of Crail|
|Last Edited||29 May 2014|
- [S1597] FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Birth 10 May Bap. 11 May 1760 Helen d/o William RUNSYMAN & Elizabeth JAMIESON, Crail, FIF, from Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 batch C11417-5 film 1040157, extracted Oct 2012.
- [S1045] H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Pay-outs to the widows and children of the Crail fishermen drowned on 21st January 1765, extracted Feb 2010 from photocopies taken 1980s, from GD/26/12/25 held National Archives of Scotland (NAS), rcvd Feb 2010.
- [S3221] Phyllis RUNCIMAN, "EM RUNCIMAN/WISHART/JAMIESON ex Phyllis R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Pay-outs to the widows and children of the Crail fishermen drowned on 21st January 1765, from GD/26/12/25 held National Archives of Scotland (NAS), transcr. by Phyllis rcvd Nov 2012.
- [S3] Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Analysis", Oct 2012.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 20 May 1780 Helen RUNCIMAN & Patk DUDGEON, Whitekirk, ELN, 723/00 0020 0166, copy rcvd from Alan R, Oct 2012.
- [S3217] WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Aug 2013.
- [S3369] Annalisa Aitken, "Correspondence re family of Helen RUNCIMAN/Alexander DUDGEON," e-mail to Informal Runciman researchers group, Rcvd Apr 2014.
- [S1598] FamilySearch Family Tree online at https://familysearch.org/tree/, Birth 17 Sep Bap. 23 Sep (Whitekirk, ELN) Mary d/o Patr DUDGEON & Helen RUNCIMAN, https://familysearch.org/tree/…, extracted Mar 2014.