(31 Jul 1757 - 31 Jan 1830)
|Father*||William Runciman (of Crail)2,1 (Mar 1729 - Jan 1765)|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Jamieson2,1 (1728 - Jan 1763)|
IntroWilliam of Crail's death left 5 orphaned children, as detailed in the papers about the pay-outs to the widows and children of the fisherman drowned in 1765:
‘ Willliam Runcieman, a widower left 5 children and a Bastard: Janet Runcieman aged 16 Margaret 10 Elizabeth 8, Helen 5 John 3. The Bastard's name Mary aged 16 months.’ (Phyllis adds that this mention of 16 months is a puzzle and may be an error, as later minutes of the Widows and Orphans Fund, consistently identify Mary’s birth as at December 1764, which would make her around 16 weeks old at the time of this letter was written in April 1765).
Grandfather Richard was paid for looking after three of them, Janet presumably considered old enough, at 16, to earn her own keep, Mary, "the Bastard" not his problem, and the two Catherine's assumed to have died young?2,3,4
BDMsElizabeth Runsyman was born on 31 Jul 1757 Crail, FIF, SCT, which fits with age of 8 when father died.1,2,3
Elizabeth Runsyman married Charles Herkass on 28 May 1785 Dunbar, ELN, SCT, banns Whitekirk Parish 13th May show Charles HERKUS "in this Parish", Elisabeth RUNCIMAN "in the Parish of Dunbar", witnesses were Willm & Charles MURRAY, signed William MURRAY session clerk;
Entry in Dunbar reads: "Charles Herkass in the parish of Whitekirk and Elizabeth Runciman in this parish were regularly proclaimed and married May 28th 1785."5
Elizabeth Runsyman died on 31 Jan 1830 North Berwick, ELN, SCT, at age 72.5 She was buried on 2 Feb 1830 at North Berwick, East Lothian, entry reads: Elisabeth Runciman, wife of Charles Herkes, died the 31st ult aged 72 years, and was this day interred in the Churchyard here.5
|Charts||Lineage 1b: William (JAMIESON/WISHART) RUNCIMAN of Crail|
|Last Edited||16 Feb 2013|
- [S1597] FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Birth 31 Jul Bap. 2 Aug 1757 Elizabeth d/o William RUNSYMAN & Elizabeth JAMIESON, Crail, FIF, from Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 batch C11417-5 film 1040157, extracted Oct 2012.
- [S1045] H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Pay-outs to the widows and children of the Crail fishermen drowned on 21st January 1765, extracted Feb 2010 from photocopies taken 1980s, from GD/26/12/25 held National Archives of Scotland (NAS), rcvd Feb 2010.
- [S3221] Phyllis RUNCIMAN, "EM RUNCIMAN/WISHART/JAMIESON ex Phyllis R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Pay-outs to the widows and children of the Crail fishermen drowned on 21st January 1765, from GD/26/12/25 held National Archives of Scotland (NAS), transcr. by Phyllis rcvd Nov 2012.
- [S3] Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Analysis", Oct 2012.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 31 Jan Bur. 2 Feb 1830 Elisabeth RUNCIMAN, wife of Charles HERKES, aged 72, Churchyard Nth Berwick, ELN 713/00 0070 0178, copy d/loaded Feb 2013.
- [S3] Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Analysis", Feb 2013.
- [S1640] Births deaths marriages index (pre 1855): Scotland, Births 1780 to 1830 HER*S, North Berwick, ELN, searched Feb 2013 , Microfiche and http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk