(circa Apr 1805 - 1879)
|Father*||John Runciman (Inchture; m. Susan Donaldson)3,2 (say 1758 - )|
|Mother*||Susan Donaldson3 (circa 1762 - aft. 1841)|
BDMsJames Runsiman was born circa Apr 1805 Baledgarno, Par. of Inchture, PER, SCT.2,4,3,5 He was baptized on 14 Apr 1805 Par. of Inchture, PER, SCT; entry for Runsiman Apr 14 reads: John Runsiman Baledgarno & his wife, Susan Donaldson, had a son baptized named James.3,2 Some sources show James as born circa 1811 Inchture, PER, SCT, poss. the b. 23 Oct bap. 30th Oct 1808 Perth, PER to James RUNCIMAN & Mary TOSHACH, but the 1805 version looks better.1,6 He married Ann Moncrief on 29 Nov 1850 Kilspindie, PER, SCT.1,7
James Runciman died in 1879 St Marys, Dundee, ANS, SCT; aged 73.1,5
CensusJames Runciman appeared on the census of 1841 in a Bothie, Par. of Kinfauns, PER, SCT, as James RUNCIMAN 30 ag lab b PER (with several others: MATE, SHEPERD, CAY, KESLAR) (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)8
The census of 1861 showed James with his wife Ann, their sons Robert and John, their dtrs Jane and Ann Village, Rait, Dist of Kilspindie, PER, SCT, household enumerated as RUNSIMAN: James 55 ploughman b Inchture, PER; wife Ann MONCRIEF 31 b Kilspindie, PER; Children: Robt 9 scholar b Dundee Forfarshire; Jane 7 scholar b Kilspindie; John 4 scholar b Errol, PER; Ann 1 b Kilspindie.4
James Runciman was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1871 Cottar H Loons Rd, Dundee, Par. of St Mary, ANS, SCT, with Ann enumerated as RUNCIMAN: James 60 cattle man b Inchture, Perth S; wife Ann 40 b Kilspindie, Perth S; Children: Jane 15 winder b Kilspindie, John 13 mill worker b Inchture, Ann 11 scholar b Kilspindie, Susan 2 b Dundee, Forfar S(hire.)1
Names/other infoIn 1805 his surname was recorded as James Runsiman.4,2
James Runciman was the informant for the death of his brother Alexander Runciman on 16 Oct 1858 Milton Farm, Par. of Collace, PER, SCT.9 James Runciman is mentioned on the h/stone of William Paterson and Ann Runciman at the Balgay Cem., Dundee, ANS, SCT, Inscription reads" Erected by Ann Runciman In loving memory of her husband William Paterson who died 14th October 1924; also their children John, William, Susan and Charles who died in infancy; The above Ann Runciman died 17th October 1932; And their daughter Mary F Paterson wife of David Hill who died 11th November 1944 aged 50 years; their grandson William P Smart who died in infancy; And of her parents James Runciman and Ann Moncrieff; And her brother and sister John and Jean; small stone below To the memory of Our Dear Father and Mother.10
|Ann Moncrief (circa 1834 - Aug 1905)|
|Charts||Lineage 2c: John & Susan (DONALDSON) RUNCIMAN of Inchture, PER|
|Last Edited||17 Sep 2012|
- [S207] 1871 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Par. of St Mary, Dundee, ANS, Reg 282/2 ED 7 Pg 26 Sched 136, hsehold of James & Ann RUNCIMAN, extracted Mar 2010.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Bap. 14 Apr 1805 James s/o John RUNSIMAN (of Baledgarno) & Susan DONALDSON, Par. of Inchture, Perth, 359/0020 0236, copy d/loaded Mar 2010.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 14 Apr 1805 James s/o John RUNSIMAN & Susan DONALDSON, batch C113592, Inchture, PER, extracted Mar 2010.
- [S205] 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Rait Village, Kilspindie, PER Reg 363 ED 1 Pg 5 Sched 31, hsehold of James & Ann RUNSIMAN, extracted Mar 2010.
- [S2970] Births deaths marriages index: Scotland 1855+, Dth 1879 James RUNCIMAN, aged 73, reg. St Mary, Dundee, 282/02 #446, extracted from index Nov 2010 , http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Birth 23rd Bap. 30th Oct 1808 James s/o James RUNCIMAN & Mary TOSHACH, batch C119476 Perth, PER, extracted Mar 2010.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 29 Nov 1850 James RUNCIMAN & Ann MONCRIEFF, batch M113634, Kilspindie, PER.
- [S201] 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Kinfauns, PER Par. 366 ED 1 Pg 1, hsehold of James RUNCIMAN, extracted Mar 2010.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 16 Oct 1858 Alexander s/o John RUNCIMAN & Susan DONALDSON, Par. of Collace, PER 340/00 #7, copy d/loaded Nov 2010.
- [S2342] RUNCIMAN Misc. web searches & correspondence Bur. William & Ann PATERSON ++, Balgay Cem., Dundee Forfarshire, extracted from Pat's website, online at http://www.genesontheweb.co.uk/p5853.htm, Apr 2012.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 7 Jul 1896 John RUNCIMAN & Catherine MULHERON, Lochee, Dundee/Angus, 282/05 0096, copy d/loaded Mar 2010.