(circa Oct 1751 - 16 Jan 1825)
|Father*||John Runciman3,4,2,1,5 (circa Nov 1715 - aft. Nov 1788)|
|Mother*||Elizabeth Familton (circa Jul 1720 - Nov 1788)|
BDMsDavid Runciman was born circa Oct 1751 Earlston, BEW, SCT.5 He was baptized on 29 Oct 1751 at Earlston, Berwickshire.2,1,5
David Runciman married Janet Lockie on 29 Oct 1785 Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, this date/place apparently being recorded in the Earlston Kirk Session Minutes for Nov 26 as follows: "... compared before the Session David Runchiman and Janet Lockie both in this parish, and produced a Certificate of their Marriage dated at Edinburgh the Twenty Ninth Day of October Jajii (ie 1700) and Eighty Five and signed by James Wilson the Celebrator and John Wilson and Elizabeth Leslie and Agnes Bruce witnesses. They were rebuked for their Irregular Marriage and were admonished having adhered to One another as Man and Wife." the Kirk receiving a payment of 3/- on the same date.6,7
David Runciman died on 16 Jan 1825 prob. ?Wanton Walls, Par. of Lauder, BEW, SCT; (despite what his h/stone says, he was in reality at least 74.)8 He was buried with Janet Lockie at Earlston, Berwickshire, h/stone #498 reading: Sacred to the memory of David Runciman farmer at Wantonwalls and portioner in Earlston who died 16.1.1825 in the 73rd yr of his age and of Janet Lockie his spouse who died 25.9.1830 also in her 73rd year. Isabella Runciman their dtr died 25.9.1866 Elizabeth Runciman their dtr died 8.10.1876 John Runciman their son who died 9.2.1877 aged 90 yrs.6
DNA InfoDavid belongs to a tested line in the RUNCIMAN Surname DNA Project. Follow this link for further DNA information.
LinksClick here to see David's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.11
Follow this link for Lorna's family information on David Runciman.
|Janet Lockie (circa 1757 - Sep 1830)|
|Charts||Lineage 1a: George & Jennet (FINLAW) RUNCIMAN of Berwickshire|
|Last Edited||6 Feb 2016|
- [S1045] H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Mar 1996.
- [S1105] Paul Richardson, "RICHARDSON, William of Eckford."
- [S2343] Will: RUNCIMAN, James 1858, 1867, 1872 (Will written Jun 1858 codicil Dec 1867 Inventory 23 Feb 1872 proved 8 Mar 1872) SC60/41/24 (27 pp) & SC60/44/6 (2pp): Copy d/loaded Sep 2005, (SC60/41/24 dated 23rd Feb 1872 detailed inventory, and Trust Dispostion & Settlement of 8th Jun 1858 and codicil 27 Dec 1867 - 27pp in all)
(SC60/44/6 dated 8th March 1872 confirmed appointment of executors).
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth cert 1871 James RUNCIMAN, copy d/loaded Sep 2005.
- [S104] Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Bap. 29 Oct 1751 David s/o John RUNCIMAN, Earlston, 736/ 0010 0118, from RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW, index searched Oct 2005.
- [S699] Borders FHS, MIs: BEW: Earlston - book, H/stone (#498 p71) David RUNCIMAN and Janet LOCKIE and family, re-checked Sep 2005.
- [S2567] David RUNCIMAN, "RUNCIMAN Corres.," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. 1785 David RUNCIMAN & Janet LOCKIE, Edin, (from the Earlston Kirk Session Minutes Nov 26), rcvd May 2007.
- [S692] Borders FHS, MIs: BEW Earlston - extracts.
- [S1045] H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), "Farm in Berwickshire to let", (Wantonwalls & Elsineur, Par. of Lauder) from
The Edinburgh Evening Courant, Saturday, April 6th, 1793, transc rcvd Feb 1996, scanned copy of transc rcvd Apr 2009.
- [S2891] 1797 Farm Horse Tax Rolls - Scotland online at http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/, 13 Sep 1797 David RUNCIMAN, Wantonwalls, Par. of Lauder, BEW, extracted Dec 2009.
- [S3217] WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct-11.
- [S2342] RUNCIMAN Misc. web searches & correspondence Services of Heirs, Roxburghshire. 1636-1847: Trust Disposition to George Newton, feuar in Kelso, extracted Sep 2005, (which supplements the original information from Harry W, the transcript of which did not include the "lawfull children of the deceased David RUNCIMAN, tenant in Wantonwalls").
- [S104] Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW, index searched Oct 2005.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 14 Jul 1788 Isobel d/o David RUNCIMAN, Earlston, from RUNCIMAN baptisms, batch C117362, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S3] Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Analysis", Oct 2005.
- [S1640] Births deaths marriages index (pre 1855): Scotland, RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW, index searched Oct 2005 , Microfiche and http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), RUNCIMAN/LOCKIE baptisms, batch C117362, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S104] Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, SCT, RUNCIMAN Births 1538-1854", Birth/Bap.? 13 Dec 1800 James d/ David RUNCIMAN & Janet LOCKIE, Earlston, from RUNCIMAN births 1700 to 1820 Earlston, BEW, index searched Oct 2005.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 12 Sep 1872 David s/o David RUNCIMAN & Janet LOCKIE, Elie, FIF, 427 #4, copy d/loaded Sep 2005.