David Williamson Runciman1
(26 Jun 1837 - 24 Jul 1910)
|Father*||David Runciman D.D.2 (1804 - Sep 1872)|
|Mother*||Janet Aitchison2 (circa 1816 - Feb 1890)|
IntroThis family is another New Zealand connection. I was rather surprised to find that I had NZ Runciman relations . David and Isabella apparently had 14 children, so up until recently (May 2007) I had a few more to find, but now I've only to confirm whether there were 13 as family say, or the 14 the Presbyterian archives reported. Several died young. I have found 4 of the 7 Scottish born children in assorted places subsequent to their emigration to NZ in 1877 - in Argentina, London, Edinburgh and NZ, so they are a well-spread family. Wife Isabella appears to have returned to Edinburgh after her husband David's death, as she was there when dtr Eliabeth married there in 1917. At least two of the daughters married Ministers in Scotland.3,4
BDMsDavid Williamson Runciman was born on 26 Jun 1837 Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN, SCT.1,2,5
D W Runciman married Isabella Agatha Leishman, daughter of Matthew Leishman and Jane Elizabeth Boog, on 24 Apr 1866 in the Manse, Govan, Glasgow, LKS, SCT, cert reads: D W Runciman, 28, Minister of the Par. of Leslie, Fife, s/o David, D.D. Minister of St Andrews Glasgow and Janet m.s. Aitchison; married Isabella Agatha Leishman, 18 of The Manse, Govan, d/o Matthew Leishman D.D. Minister of the Par. of Govan and Jane Elizabeth m.s. Boog (initially interprested as Boag), Min. Thomas Leishman, Minister of Linton. Wit: R I Runciman and Grace H McFarlane;
Notice in the Glasgow Herald of Apr 25th reads: At Govan Manse, on the 24th inst., by the Rev. Thomas Leishman, M.A., minister of Linton, Roxburghshire, the Rev David Williamson Runciman, M.A., minister of Leslie, Fifeshire, to Isabella Agatha, youngest daughter of the Rev. Matthew Leishman, D.D., minister of Govan - No cards.2,6
David died on 24 Jul 1910 Parliament St, Auckland, AKD, NZ, at age 73; Dth cert. shows David Williamson as 73, Presbyterian Minister, s/o David RUNCIMAN, Presbyterian Minister, & Janet m.s. AITCHISON; cod cardiac myasthenia (probable fatty infiltration) - 10 yrs; Aggravation of condition and syncope - 3 mths; certified by William McDOWELL, last seen alive 24 Jul 1910; Born Glasgow, in NZ 34 yrs; Marr. at Govan, SCT at age 29 to Isabella Agatha LEUSHMAN (sic, should be LEISHMAN); age of widow blank (should be 62); Buried 26 Jul Tamaki West; Surviving issue: M 41, 39, 37, 35, 26 (ie Matthew, William, Robert, John, Alexander); F 42, 34, 31, 27 (ie Jane, Janet, Isabella, Elizabeth)
See below for obituary and funeral reports.7,8,9,10 He was buried in the Point England Churchyard, Glen Innes, AKD, NZ, H/stone #75 reads: Rev D W Runciman M A died 24 July 1910, aged 73; & his children - James Bruce aged 5 months died 27 Jan 1879; & Alexander, aged 6 months died 28 Sep 1882; & David aged 18 years died 10 Jan 1887; & Mary Russell Ker died 25 Jul 1889 aged 17 months.8
CensusThe census of 1841 showed David and William and their sister Mary in the household of their parents David and Janet Runciman 8 Salisbury Pl, Edinburgh St Cuthberts, Canongate, MLN, SCT, enumerated as RUNCIMAN: David 36 Min. of Newington Parish, Janet, 25, both b outside county. David W 4, Mary 2, William 1 all b MLN; Also Elizabeth Smith, 20 Independent, b outside cty; and three female servants: Euphemia McCaw, 22, b MLN; Janet Baxter, 24; Jane McKenzie 24, both b outside county.12
The census of 1851 showed David, William, John, Robert and Alexander and their sisters Mary and Janet in the household of their parents David and Janet Runciman Annfield Pl (13), Glasgow, Dist of High Church, LKS, SCT, enumerated as RUNCIMAN: David D.D. 47, Minister of St Andrew b nr Lauder, Berwick; wife Janet 35 b Edin; Children: David W 13, Mary K (ancestry indexed as R) 12, William A 10, John A 8 all scholars all b Edin; Janet L (ancestry indexed as B) scholar, Robert Peel 2, Alexander E 3mths all b Glasgow; Servants: LANDES, HENNESY; BOWNER.13
The census of 1861 showed David, William, John, Robert and Alexander and their sisters Mary, Janet and Elizabeth in the household of their parents David and Janet Runciman Duke St (317), Srpingburn, Glasgow, LKS, SCT, enumerated as RUNCIMAN: David D.D. 57, Minister of St Andrew Parish, Glasgow, b Lauder, BEW; wife Janet 45 b Peebles; Children: David W 23 (ancestry has 28) Mat student, Mary K 21, William 20 calico printer clerk, John A 18 merchants clerk, all b Edin; Janet L 15, Robert 12, Alexander 10, all scholars b Glasgow; Elizabeth N 5 b Glasgow; Servants: McNEILLAGE, McCULLICK.14
The census of 1871 showed David with his wife Isabella, their sons David and Matthew, their dtr Jane in the Manse, Leslie, FIF, SCT, household enumerated as RUNCIMAN (19 (sic) rooms with 1 or more windows): David W 33 Minister of Leslie Parish, b Edinburgh; wife Isabella A 23 b Govan, LKS; Children (all b Leslie FIF): Jane E B 4; David 2; Matthew L 1. 3 servants (Wright, Nichol, Wilson.15)
Names/other infoDavid W Runciman officiated at the marriage of his brother Robert Inglis (Peel) Runciman to Mary Spring on 24 Apr 1876 San Andrés del Centro, Buenos Aires, ARG.16,17,18,19
David W Runciman and Isabella A Runciman left London 15 Sep 1876 on the "Jessie Osborne" arriving Auckland on 19 Dec 1876 accompanied by their 7 scottish born children (the Presbyterian archives web site says Rev David arrived Jan 1877.)20,3
LinksClick here to see David's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.21
Follow this link for Lorna's family information on David Williamson Runciman.
|Isabella Agatha Leishman (circa 1848 - Aug 1917)|
|Charts||Lineage 1a: George & Jennet (FINLAW) RUNCIMAN of Berwickshire|
|Last Edited||6 Mar 2016|
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), RUNCIMAN/AITCHISON births/baptisms, batch C119905, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Mar. cert 1866 D W RUNCIMAN and Isabella LEISHMAN, copy d/loaded Sep 2005.
- [S1844] Borders web searches & correspondence online at various web sites & correspondents, NZ Presbyterian Archives (http://archives.presbyterian.org.nz/Page196.htm) David Williamson RUNCIMAN, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S3] Lorna Henderson, "RUNCIMAN Analysis", Dec 2005 & May 2007.
- [S2052] Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Birth 1837 D W RUNCIMAN, from Strays & more collection reference, detail from 1902 NZ Cyclopaedia rcvd Sep 2005, (D.W. RUNCIMAN born 26 Jun 1837 Edinburgh, Scotland - Vol 2 Auckland Provincial District p198).
- [S1918] Newspaper clippings, Marr. 24 Apr 1866 Isabella Agatha, dtr of Rev, Matthew LEISHMAN & Rev David Williamson RUNCIMAN, M.A., minister of Leslie, at Govan Manse, from Glasgow Herald, (Glasgow, Scotland), Wed Apr 25, 1866; Issue 8206, extracted May 2008.
- [S2052] Assorted indexes, NZ Soc. Gen. Index, Probate index, RUNCIMAN, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S1034] NZSG, Cemetery transcriptions, H/stone Rev D W RUNCIMAN, M.A. & family, B03.16, fiche 35, extracted May 2007.
- [S59] BDM: NZ Certificates, Dth 24 Jul 1910 David Williamson s/o David RUNCIMAN & Janet AITCHISON, h/o Isabella Agatha LEUSHMAN (sic, should be LEISHMAN), Auckland, NZ, cert. copy dated Aug 1975, rcvd from Ros R, Apr 2013.
- [S2640] Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Obit 25 Jul 1910 Rev. D W RUNCIMAN, Auckland Star, Volume XLI, Issue 174, 25 July 1910, Page 2, copy d/loaded Apr 2013.
- [S2640] Papers Past (NZ National Library) online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/, Funeral 26 Jul 1910 Rev David W RUNCIMAN, M.A., Auckland Star, Volume XLI, Issue 176, 27 July 1910, Page 5, computer generated text d/loaded Apr 2013.
- [S1610] FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Canongate, Par. of St Cuthberts, Edin, MLN SCT1841/685 ED 4 Folio 223 Page 5, hsehold of David & Janet RUNCIMAN, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S203] 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Barony, LKS, Par. 622 ED 2C Pg 16 Sched 73, hsehold of David & Janet RUNCIMAN, extracted May 2007.
- [S205] 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Springburn, High Church, Glasgow, LKS, Par. 644/2 ED 121 Pg 7 Sched 36, hsehold of David & Janet RUNCIMAN, extracted May 2007.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1871 Census Fife Dist 444 (ED2?) Pg1 Sched 1, copy d/loaded Dec 2005.
- [S2333] Rootsweb Msge Board online at http://boards.rootsweb.com, RUNCIMAN mailing list, (http://www.guernsey.net/~sgibbs/runciman/) posting re Argentinian RUNCIMAN families, Nov 2003 by Robert Frederick RUNCIMAN, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S2342] RUNCIMAN Misc. web searches & correspondence Memorial inscription, and window dedication 1911 Robert Inglis RUNCIMAN, St Andrews Presbyterian (the Scotch Church), Buenos Aires, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S2342] RUNCIMAN Misc. web searches & correspondence Mar. 1876 Robert Inglis RUNCIMAN and Mary SPRING, extracted Sep 2005, From http://www.argbrit.org/SanAmatr/matrimonios_1864_1878.htm, posted by Jeremy HOWAT, home page last updated 16 Sep 2005.
- [S2567] David RUNCIMAN, "RUNCIMAN Corres.," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, From "A Brief History of our Branch of the Runciman Family", rcvd & extracted May 2007.
- [S2623] Auckland City Libraries online at http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz, Auckland Area Passenger Arrivals 1838-1886, RUNCIMAN family on the Jessie Osborne. dep. London 15 Sep 1876 arr Akd Dec 19 1876, saloon, extracted Sep 2007.
- [S3217] WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct-11.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), RUNCIMAN/LEISHMAN births, batch C114441, extracted Sep 2005.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, RUNCIMAN births, Leslie, FIF, extracted from index Dec 2005.
- [S2567] David RUNCIMAN, "RUNCIMAN Corres.," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Birth 1876 Janet Aitchison RUNCIMAN, from "A Brief History of our Branch of the Runciman Family", rcvd May & extracted Jun 2007.
- [S1783] Ellis Island Immigrations online at http://www.ellisislandrecords.com/, 1910 Matthew RUNCIMAN & Ruth HAYDON, "Mauretania" from Liverpool to NY, extracted Dec 2005.
- [S2355] The Scotsman Archive, Marr. 1917 Elsie Anderson RUNCIMAN and the Rev W George ANDREWS, pg 12 Sat 14th Apr 1917, extracted Dec 2005.
- [S1045] H D W, "RUNCIMAN Correspondence," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Fam. tree of David Ernest Inglis RUNCIMAN of Spain, from David to Harry early 1990s, extract rcvd May 2007.
- [S2562] Ros Runciman, "RUNCIMAN Corres.," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 1950 Hugh Inglis RUNCIMAN, Via 1974 letter from Miss Mary R (his niece) in Argentina, info rcvd May 2007.
- [S2562] Ros Runciman, "RUNCIMAN Corres.," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Rcvd May 2007.